Thursday 18 August 2011

Running With Bugs

My social life got in the way again at the weekend so I wasn't able to run on Sunday.

As a result I had to squeeze my long run in on Monday evening. Had I the foresight I'd have run home from work, but as it was it was nearly half past seven when I hit the road. The plan, such as it was, was to repeat last Monday afternoon's session.

I realised it would be starting to get dark by the time I returned, but forgot that it gets dark quickly in among the trees along the riverside trails and also I didn't reckon with the huge clouds of midges swarming over the paths. I had to stop at one point near the mill pond when I swallowed something and started retching, and later along the Cole insects were getting in my mouth, my eyes and even my ears! I was trying to run with a hand in front of my mouth and one eye half open, when it was dark enough to make it difficult to see with both fully open! As you might imagine this slowed me significantly - 7:15 turned into about 7:55.

Thankfully the bats kept their distance - I wish I had their sonar facility, and at least I got some extra protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment