Wednesday 10 August 2011

Another Paced Long Run

Progressing from my 'Paced Long Run' on Sunday 10 July, where I ran the first two thirds at an easy pace and the last third at target race pace (or 'TRP'), this time I decided to make it the middle third at TRP.

I also tried out a new bottle belt, which has three small bottles. I chose to fill each bottle differently - the first would be water, the second my home-made electrolyte drink and the third ice. The electrolyte drink is just a half-and-half mix of red and white grape juice diluted with water and with a pinch of 'Lo-Salt' added. I use Lo-Salt rather than normal table salt because it has roughly a two-to-one combination of Potassium Chloride and Sodium Chloride. The ice in the third bottle is water by the time I get to it, but at least is still cold after an hour's running.

I took two gels but unfortunately could only fit one in the pocket on the belt (design flaw!) so slipped one in behind one of the bottles. This turned out not to be a great idea, as it slipped back out within the first three miles, leaving me with just the one. Also, I managed do forget to fill the first bottle with water!

I took the same route, along the Cole Valley trails with a loop around Majors Green then back up the Cole. The faster middle third is also the hillier third on this particular route.
It was cool and windy most of the way, and rained during the last third, but the sun came out and shone brightly for the last half mile or so.

I managed my pace fairly well, aiming for 8:20 either side of 7:15 in the middle, and actually averaging 8:18 and 7:14 respectively for the first two thirds, though in the last third I over-did it slightly, struggling to get back down to 8:20 and actually averaging 7:46!

Despite the mistakes with the water and gel, the run was very encouraging, as it felt relatively easy throughout. I remembered to avoid the nettles and brambles too!

No comments:

Post a Comment